Monday, April 9, 2012

Laundry Room Saga

Remember my post about our "laundry room" (if you could even call it that) last summer?  Well, the project finally began!  We decided to paint the entire inside of the unfinished room just to help clean it up and make it brighter.  Here is a reminder photo of what it used to look like:


That's right....dark, gloomy, and dirty.  That's what bothered me the most.  Not to mention, very old, loud and shaky appliances!  Hey!  They worked for us for an entire year and brought us many laughs :)  Here is another view of the laundry room from the basement living room:


It seemed hopeless...but we talked to our handy man Shawn who we decided would spray paint the entire room - rafters, walls, pipes, everything.  He also painted the concrete floor.  Great!  Well, this meant A LOT of cleaning duties for us.  We spent almost 3 days cleaning the room.  We vacuumed the ceiling, the walls, and the floor over and over again.  (I can be a little OCD with the Shop Vac)  Then I scrubbed the concrete floor and concrete walls almost 5 times!  I used vinegar and water with a tough bristle brush.  I swear, no one had touched this area of the house for 60 years!  I could NOT believe it.  I mean, I found 2 towels stuffed in the rafters that had been thrown down the old laundry shoot who knows how many years ago!  Also, while vacuuming, I found a very large collection of rocks and stones under the water heater...huh?  

After everything was painted, we got our new appliances delivered and the old ones hauled away!  We also replaced the rusty old drain cover with a crisp new white one and replaced the dryer tube with an "up to fire code" aluminum one.  Dan also hosed down and sanitized the utility sink so it's all sparkly clean now!  It was a dream!  Here is the finished room!


Here is a reminder of the before:

 

Before and After:

 

It feels so clean and new and Dan's mom helped me pick out the rug and lantern light shade!  YAY for laundry!

No comments:

Post a Comment