Thursday, August 2, 2012

I Baked!

I know! You probably feel like you're reading someone else's blog!  But I really did bake a cake from scratch last weekend!  My husband, Dan, just got a new job and so did my friend Caroline's boyfriend (also named Dan) so we decided we should celebrate and make a cake for the Dans!  Caroline offered to pick one up from Dairy Queen but oh no girl!  Give me a challenge!  So a baking I went!



I found the recipe here via Pinterest and, yes, it is a "healthy" chocolate cake but it still tasted pretty good! (you might want to ask the other people who ate it for a full range opinion)  I did eliminate the zucchini part of the recipe but only because I'm scared of foreign vegetables but I think next time I'll give it a whirl!  
PS-I did learn that Baking Soda and Baking Powder are 2 different things, ta da!!

1/3 cup whole wheat flour 
1/3 cup all-purpose flour (I used all whole wheat flour instead of this)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2/3 cup applesauce
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup shredded zucchini (carrots would also work) (optional!!)
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350º.
Combine the flours, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, cocoa powder, and salt. Add the applesauce, egg, vanilla, and zucchini and chocolate chips and mix just until combined. 
Pour into a well greased and floured bundt cake pan and bake for about 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Mind you...I did ALL of this while talking to my sister on the phone.  I don't think I missed any steps but who knows!  I'm just glad I didn't forget about it in the oven...I took a shower after I put it in and Dan was mowing the lawn so it was all on me! 


Of course the "healthy" part of the cake was faltered due to the white frosting I put on top.  Caroline came over and helped write our "message" on with the purple frosting.  We didn't have a lot of space to work with but wanted to get our point across so this is the best we could come up with.  I'm sure the boys got the picture :)


See how happy they look with their cake!?  I shouldn't tell you I had to remind them to eat it, haha!

By the time we ate, the cake had international flags added to it in the spirit of the Olympics! 
 (as you can see in the photo below)

Hopefully I'll get better at baking but this was a great first start!  Has anyone cooked something from Pinterest?  Is everyone enjoying the Olympics!  I am!!  USA!!

Love, Natalie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment